In what seems a never ending series of posts on how to fix out of sync subtitles… here’s how to do it using Angular! :)
First things first: here’s a link to the webpage that you can use to fix your out of sync subtitles. Just go there and follow the instructions, it’s really easy. Trust me, I’m the author :P
A little background on why I made that page. About a year and a half ago I started toying around with AngularJS, because we decided to re-write the SketchTogether HTML client in it. Since I’m mostly taking care of the server side of the app, I spent a lot more time reading Angular code than writing it; even if I think I got the basic concepts relatively quickly, I wanted to have some first-hand experience with the library to really grasp what it means to develop an app with it, even if just a basic one.
Since back in those days I was fiddling with a toy python script to fix out of sync subtitles, I decided that it could have been fun to do the same thing in Angular. I wrote a rough implementation of the script’s functionality in about two weeks of my off time (about 10 very fragmented hours all in all, and I must say I was happy with it, considering how Angular is known for its steep learning curve), and left it there. Fast forward to 4 months ago, I decided to make it look a little prettier, and publish it on GitHub. And then, it took me 4 more months to find the time to write this blog post about it on a Sunday night :P
My experience with Angular so far has been positive. For one thing, it’s not as hard to create a non-trivial webpage with it as most people want you to believe. Data binding can get you pretty far, and it’s relatively straightforward (one basic thing that left me wondering though is the from-dashed-to-camelCase directive name auto-conversion… that felt a bit like unneeded magic to me).
It does get a bit convoluted when your application grows and you want to add some piece of functionality that’s like 4 lines of code in jQuery, but which takes a new directive definition, changes to the HTML, and maybe a new scope, just to follow the Angular way. But then again, it could be my limited knowledge of the library (which I intend to keep expanding, because there’s so much to learn!).
Oh, and one last thing. The “there should be a dot in your model” rule should be re-stated everywhere in the documentation. Once you really understand what it is about, you experience one of the major bumps in the famous “feelings about angular over time” graph from this post :)